Course Code: BBA 3104 - 0421
Course Title: Labor Law
Course Type: Theory
Class Hours: 42
Total Marks: 100
The rationale of the Course:
Labor Law aims to counteract the inequality of power between employers and employees. This course is aimed at ensuring that students are well-equipped with a thorough knowledge of the principles of Labor Law as well as an ability to apply the law in practice. Topics that will be covered in this course include; the basics of labor law, contract, termination of contract, agencies, and sale of good acts. a prologue to the concept of the Law of partnership, Dissolution of Firm, Negotiable instruments, Basics of Industrial Law, Carrying Through Road, Carrying Through Sea, Insolvency, Bangladesh Labor Law, etc.
1. Labor Law: Definition, Conditions of service and employment: Condition of employment, Classification of workers and period of probation, Latter of Appointment and Identity Card, Service book, Procedure for leave, Payment of wages for unveiled leave.
2. Introduction to Bangladesh Labor Law: Bangladesh Labor Act 2006, Bangladesh Labor Act Amendment 2013, Bangladesh Labor Rules 2015.
3. Worker, Working hour and its management: Clarification regarding the definition of worker, Classification of Workers and employers, Apprenticeship and its management, Use of internal Service Rules: when and how, Third Party worker/ Outsourcing of worker: Opportunity, Benefits, Procedure, Obligations, Limitations and challenges, Outsourced Vs Permanent worker: Threats of mixing, Procedure for License of Contracting agencies, Appointment of Juvenile worker.
4. Laws of Wages: Daily working hours, Interval for rest or meal, Weekly hours, Weekly holiday, Compensatory weekly holiday, Spread over, Night shift, Restriction on cumulative hours of work on a vehicle, Extra –allowance for work overtime, Casual leave, Sick leave, Annual leave with wages, Festival holiday.
5. Leave, Maternity Leave, and Maternity Benefit Management: Different Types of Leave, its management, and calculation of payment, Behavior with Pregnant Workers, Rights of Pregnant workers, Managing Maternity Leave, Calculation and disbursement procedure for Maternity Benefit.
6. Separation and Disciplinary Procedure: Misconduct, Punishment, and Disciplinary Proceedings, Formation of the inquiry committee, Procedure of inquiry, Drafting different letters related to the disciplinary procedure [like show cause letter, inquiry circular, proceedings, etc., Different mode of separation: concepts, Application, challenges, the scope of errors and calculation of benefits in a different type of separation.
7. Provision for safety and compensation: Introduction, Injuries, property loss or damage, medical expenses, injuries resulting in death, Injuries resulting in an incapacity for work, injuries resulting in impairment, Household and attendant care services.
8. Laws Governing Labor Relations: Collective bargaining, Trade union, Arbitration and conciliation, Labor contract, lay off, Lockout, Strike and their legality, Labor court, and tribunals, The influence of I.L.O. on labor relations and welfare of laborers.
Course Learning Outcomes (CLOs):
After completing this course, students would be able to
CLO1: enumerate Bangladesh Labor Act; Labor law 2006 and Labor (Amendment) Act,2013, and all rules, and regulations of the latest gazette of Bangladesh Labor Rules 2015.
CLO2: demonstrate the basic concepts of labor law such as; classification of workers, Conditions of employment, Misconduct, punishment, and disciplinary procedure, Health, safety and welfare, Working hours and OT calculation, Different types of Leave, Maternity leave, and calculation of benefit, Wage: Payments and deductions and Trade Union and Collective Bargaining Agent.
CLO3: hypothesize the relationship between Employers and employees as well as the influence of the International Labor Organization (ILO).
CLO4: comply law in terms of industrial dispute settlement.
1. Chowdhury C.C.: A Guide to Company Law
2. A.A. Khan: Labor and Industrial Law
3. Government of Bangladesh: Labour Law 2006, Labour Law (Amendment) 2013, and Bangladesh Labor Rules 2015.
Other Learning Materials: Journals, Website Materials, YouTube Vides, etc.